Romantic set dinners and buffets in Singapore for Valentine’s Day 2023.
I only just read about this over the CNY weekend. The concept of the “romantic dinner” isn’t as old as we would expect it to be. It only began in the 1960s, after more and more Americans went to restaurants in the evenings for entertainment.
Yup, having an intimate meal with your sweetheart wasn’t always a thing. In fact, to even suggest the idea in the 19th century was considered scandalous, if not downright salacious. In some parts of America, the term “French Restaurant” was supposedly a euphemism for a brothel too.
(I got this juicy information from Restaurant-ing through history)
If the above is true, well, thank goodness such nonsense is well behind us, because few things are lovelier than a memorable meal with the love of your life, yes? If you’re looking for such a meal in Singapore this Valentine’s Day, you can rejoice too. There are wonderful choices throughout the country this February.
The following is a quick list of recommendations. If you haven’t made any bookings, how about doing so right away with one of these splendid establishments?
1. 15 Stamford by Kempinski
15 Stamford’s swoon-worthy menu will create lots of blissful memories this February 14th! Their exquisite, romantic candlelight five-course set dinner (SGD 188++, additional SGD 98++ for wine pairing) features mouth-watering delights such as Yuzu Mud Crab, Poached Diver Scallops, and Winter Black Truffles, followed by a choice between Japanese Bluefish and Arita Wagyu Beef Strip Loin as the main.
A Rosella Meringue, accompanied by Cheese Mousse, Walter Seed Crisp, Citrus Peta, and Honey Lavender Ice Cream, then ends your dreamy dinner on the perfect sweet note.
What’s more, lovebirds can enjoy The Bar at 15 Stamford’s specially curated cocktails, priced at SGD 24++ per cocktail, with each of these special concoctions representing a different stage of love—Young and Exciting, Steady and Bright, and Strong and Lasting. All three come with quite the unusual name too:
- Of Courtships and Uncertainties: Designed by Bar Manager Edriane Lim, this low-alcohol fruity cocktail features Gonzales Byass Oloroso Sherry, berries, sugar, and citrus.
- Ai Stead Mai: This cheeky and refreshing rum-based cocktail by bartender Timothy Aw presents hints of chocolate and a salted caramel finish. (And is probably very effective for getting a positive answer to the question)
- Of Heartbreaks and Make-Ups: Head bartender Poch shakes up a strong cocktail with a bitter-sweet finish, using Woodford Reserve Bourbon, amaro, dry vermouth, Guinness syrup, and orange bitters.
2. The Westin Singapore
This Valentine’s Day, The Westin Singapore offers not one but three choices for a wonderful and memorable culinary experience.
- Afternoon Tea at the Lobby Lounge (SGD 58++ per person): Enjoy seafood delights while surrounded by spectacular views of Singapore’s ultramodern skyline. Highlights include Lobster Thermidor Char-grilled with Lemon, Lobster Mayonnaise Brioche Rolls, Salmon with Ikura and Fine Herbs on Pumpernickel, and lovely desserts such as Passion Fruit Mango Tart Sable. Served with coffee, TWG tea, and a glass of Virgin Pink Colada. (Two sittings: 12 to 2 pm and 2.30 to 5 pm)
- Dinner Buffet at Seasonal Taste (SGD 98++ per person with free-flow coffee/tea): There’s a whole symphony of Eastern and Western delights to enjoy at this scrumptious spread! From Boston Lobsters to Shucked Oysters to Blue Swimmer Crabs, to a Trishaw Laksa station, Roasted Beef Tomahawk and Rotisserie Chicken and Oven-baked Fisherman Catch of the Day at the carving station. If you still have “room” after all that, there are desserts like Chocolate Moelleux and Chantilly, Pralines, and Raspberry Financiers to swoon over. Add SGD 88++ per person for a bottle of bubbly to wash everything down with.
- Five-course Set Dinner at Cook & Brew (SGD 99++ per person | Add on SGD 88++ for a bottle of champagne): An unforgettable gastronomic experience while surrounded by Singapore’s stunning bay view that includes an amuse-bouche duo featuring Truffle and Mascarpone Beignet with Iberico Ham and Fresh Oyster with Dashi Jelly and Cavair, followed by Yellowfin Tuna paired with avocado emulsion, pickled cucumber, sea vegetables and puffed rice for appetizer. For the mains, savour Wagyu Beef Shortrib Bon Bon with Organic Baby Carrots and Homemade Roasted Dukkah, then end the magnificent evening with desserts like Hazelnut Dacqoise or Passion Creme and Salted Caramel Ice-cream. This Valentine’s, Cook & Brew also opens its bar to Dee Atan, the mixologist of Ju Hua Tai. Together with in-house mixologist Kannan, Dee will whip up six exquisite cocktails between 5 pm to 10 pm. First 50 guest enjoys a welcome drink on the house. (Two sittings: 6 to 8 pm and 8.30 to 10.30 pm)
3. Farrer Horse
Have you been to Farrer Horse at Jalan Sultan? If not, this V-Day is the perfect time to check out this swanky shophouse restaurant and its “progressive horse-race-themed dining concept.”
For SGD 98++, enjoy a romantic two-person set meal that begins with Smoked Norwegian Salmon Rillette flavoured with capers, dill, and shallots. Mains are then a choice between pan-seared Smoked Pepper Duck Breast on a bed of cauliflower puree, or Fresh Red Snapper topped with a refreshing mango salad and a fruity citrus cream sauce.
Should you wish to, Farrer Horse offers a choice of red or white Saint Clair Marlborough wine to pair with your meal too.
For dessert, there’s upside-down Banana Cake with nutty peanut spread and sesame brittle, sweetened with delightful pomegranates and raspberry sauce.
After which, you can shift over to the gorgeous Stable Bar for a drink or two. The lovely equestrian green and tangerine décor of the Stable Bar will be the perfect coda for your memorable date.
Looking for somewhere cozy and casual, and a little easier on the wallet? Well, any of the PS.Cafe outlets would be a good choice. For Valentine’s Day 2023, they are also serving three great limited-time-only dishes to “ring in the season of love.”
The decadent Oysters Valentina (SGD 14++) comes with two plump oysters accompanied by a tangy strawberry Vierge dressing and lemon slice. One for each of you to kickstart your evening with.
The Pan Seared Alaskan Ocean Perch (SGD 38++), on the other hand, is a hearty medley of flavours. Served with potato and parmesan gnocchi drenched in green herb pesto, seasonal greens, and a smooth taramasalata dip.
For dessert, go ooooh over the PS. Pink Velvet (SGD 16++), a Valentine’s Day rendition of a PS.Cafe’s fan favourite that boasts a decadent pink velvet sponge smothered in a thick and creamy white chocolate icing, served with toasted almond-sprinkled ice cream.
Of course, outside of these Valentine’s Day specials, PS.Cafe’s all-day menus are also great, always featuring a mix of Eastern and Western favourites. If making reservations online, do check out their web store too. The store features quite an amazing selection of gourmet goodies.
5. CÉ LA VI
“Love is in the air” is classic marketing text for romantic events. But we all know that is literally the case as far as Valentine’s Day at CÉ LA VI is concerned, thanks to its spectacular location atop Marina Bay Sands.
Their sensorial dinner (SGD 198++ per person | additional SGD 55++ for wine pairing) this year is also a sumptuous five-course Contemporary Asian gastronomic affair. The experience starts with Smoked Eel canape with tangy cucumber and dill, followed by the bold and clean Yellowtail Hamachi with watermelon radish and ponzu.
While you are serenaded by the sunset, savour the vibrant Lobster Tail with premium Amelo tomato and rose, as well as a premium-cut fork-tender A4 Miyazaki Striploin seared to perfection, alongside Port wine jus and buttery miso mashed potato.
Finally, end the magical evening with Rose Vanilla Mousse, flavoured with strawberry compote and an airy almond sponge. The sweet notes will be the perfect ode to your love.
6. Lion Brewery
Thirty Six Brewlab & Smokehouse by Lion Brewery Co offers hearty choices this Valentine’s Day.
Available for pre-order, their four-course dinner at SGD 138++ per pax or SGD 268++ per couple features a refreshing Scallop Ceviche, an elegant Mushroom Consommé, and hearty mains such as the Black Onyx Angus Beef Striploin or the Pistachio Crusted Lamb Rack.
There are romantic deserts too, of course. A trio of sweets for your sweetheart that includes a Crunchy Hazelnut Feuilletine, Raspberry Dome, and a Deconstructed Berry Crumble.
Best of all, the four-course dinner comes with a pair of complimentary sparkling wines to complete your V-Day romantic dinner. The most dreamy evening of the year will also be your yummiest and most memorable.