Electone ELS-02C arrangement of the 1980 Cantopop hit, 親情.
After much, MUCH procrastination, I finally completed this. My fourth Electone ELS-02C arrangement for 2019 and the third in my miniseries of “Chow Yun-Fat TVB series songs.”
And this time, it’s the opening theme from the 1980 series, The Brothers. In Cantonese, the series and the song are both known as Ch’aan Ch’eng. The series was furthermore the one that, for a while in the early 80s, immortalized Chow Yun-Fat and Do Do Cheng as the most popular Cantonese TV couple in Hong Kong and southeast Asia.
To share, I was still in lower primary when the series was first shown on Singaporean TV. Thanks to reruns, though, I’m relatively familiar with the story, or at least the overall premise of it.
The story aside, The Brothers was the series that established my lifelong impression of Fat Kor.
Most viewers today would associate him with righteous underworld gangsters, or Captain Sao Feng, or incredible gamblers. I do too. But more so, I remember him as the easy-going, hot-blooded, cheeky Sek Fai in the Brothers.
Even when watching him portray emperors, this image keeps surfacing in my head.
Free Yamaha Electone Score & ELS-02C Registration Data for 親情 (The Brothers)
Warning! The registration and Finale PrintMusic files are zip files! You might need to disable your virus/malware protection before downloading.
As I have disabled the function, do not right-click to save as. On PCs, simply click on the links and the file should auto download in a separate window.
Electone Registration Data for Stagea ELS-02C
(Ad by Google)
- Like my previous Electone Cantopop arrangements, I’m mostly following the original recording. However, so that there’s still some taste of difference, I’ve given the arrangement a slightly stronger orchestra feel.
- Emphasis here is on the two leads i.e. the Oboe and the Violin. Each represents one of the two brothers depicted in the TVB series, so to speak …
- In order to bring the two leads to life, suitable amounts of Aftertouch, expression pedal attack i.e. volume gain, are necessary. Be careful not to overdo these though, especially for the Violin.
- In case the notes in my free score aren’t clear enough, you have to use the left footswitch to pause the rhythm on the second beat of bar 34, then restart it on the first beat of bar 35. Make sure you only stop the rhythm on the second beat in bar 34 too. Otherwise, the sounds wouldn’t properly switch to the next registration when you restart it.
- There are various horn fillers in the chorus and third/final stanza. To be honest, I’m not too satisfied with what I programmed for those. So, please, feel free to amend if you find them too … horny.
- The original recording uses a brighter piano sound for the introduction and first stanza accompaniment. I deliberately avoided this for the sake of difference. If you dislike what I did, simply pump up respective Brilliance meters and re-memorize.
Full List of Downloadable Electone Scores and Stagea ELS-02C Registrations. ( English / 中文 / 日本語 )
Check out my other Electone posts here!